Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sorry this is going to be short but I needed to blog before I go into the boonies of Thailand for an ultra-rural homestay with no electricity and no internet. I'm going to just make a list of things that have gone on of note.
1. Arrived in Chiang Mai, had incredible Pad Thai on the street for a dollar.
2. Drove to UHDP (Upland Holistic Development.... Program?) which is like a test site for agroforestry and sustainable agriculture where they try out agriculture methods before they attempt them in nearby villages.
3. Had Thai classes and learned about the various methods of organic/sustainable farming.
4. Slaughtered a pig.... yes, slaughtered a pig. I helped to hold the legs while Zach stabbed it in the heart.... it was pretty crazy, but also pretty cool to know exactally where my food was coming from and being there for every step in the process.
5. Attended a traditional wedding, which took place in the house of the bride. Felt kind of awkward about being there, but apperently, everyone who is around is welcome to attend the weddings in the villages. The ceremony was really cool, and I'm sure people will put some pictures up somewhere..... but i forgot my camera.... per usual.
Anyway someone needs the comp, everyone is trying to get in their last internet before we leave for our homestays. Can't think of much else that I should blog about, but hopefully I'll have some awesome stories from my homestay.
keep it real,
-Dave

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dave,

How's it going, man? I got passed along the link to your blog over winter break and then proceeded to read every one of your posts consecutively in one sitting. WOW!!! What an unbelievable experience. I am SO jealous and very glad that you've been able to have this incredible adventure, which is sure to play dividends for the rest of your life. It makes a measly three weeks in South Africa sound pretty tame, huh? And you are definitely learning waaay more than I am at school.

Hope the college essays went well, and I look forward to hearing all about your homestay and the rest of your journey.

All the best,
Geoff Silver

p.s. I’m sure your mother/grandparents enjoyed hearing about the pig slaughter... :)

p.p.s. Completely random, but I'm pretty sure that Chris Stakich knows my Spanish professor, Bethzaida Fernandez-Vargas. I may have just made that up, but I think they used to work together in Costa Rica.

p.p.p.s. If you could bring back some of that famous pad thai, that’d be great. I find that your posts always make me hungry...